Sunday, November 21, 2010

Can someone please edit my essay for social work?

I wanted to become a social worker when I realized that Social Work is very similar to Psychology, my major in undergraduate school. Similar with the exception that it puts more emphasis on helping people find their strengths, rather than giving them a diagnosis and being predominantly problem-focused. My own experience in helping people with their problems, and enjoying it, influenced me to pursue a career in Social Work.



Becoming a full professional with a graduate degree in Social Work represents the culmination of many years of personal and professional preparation. I have always enjoyed working people and helping them with their problems. At 34, I feel that I have the maturity necessary to perform at my best level once again, as a student. I also have a high level of motivation that accompanies my current position. I work with incarcerated youth who, by the way, are mostly minorities.I am deeply concerned by the explosive incarceration rates in America, specifically the way males lead the way in going to jail, rather than going to college, working, etc. I feel this sense of urgency makes me an excellent candidate for your Master's Program because I am so fully engaged at my place of employment.It is my sincere hope to be able to contribute to discussions of how to best counsel and care for at-risk youth. My research interest focuses on boys, especially those at risk for spending their young adulthood behind bars.



I am currently working at Harbor View Adolescent Center. I am a Youth Counselor for incarcerated youth with behavioral and emotional problems in a residential treatment facility. In my job as a youth counselor, my primary work responsibility is to serve as a positive role model for adolescents aged twelve to eighteen. The residents have backgrounds of homelessness, and are also victims of physical and sexual abuse. Some of them were dealing with drug and alcohol abuse, depression, and juvenile justice system. At times, my job could be extremely stressful But I discovered that I had the ability to connect with the adolescents and develop strong emotional ties with them. I focused on helping them with their social skills, coping skills, and independent living skills. My main goal was to help them build their self-esteem and improve their sense of security.



The adolescents that I worked with in the residential treatment facility Could get physically assaultive AT TIMES; throwing chairs and banging their heads on the doors. They would also exhibit self-harming behaviors. It was during these criTICAL situations that I would get stuck in knowing WHAT the best clinical approach WAS to use when they were self-harming. I would like to have better tools for helping these kids when they are in crisis and KNOW whether those interventions are well supported by the literature. I hope that, with the aid of a Master's Degree in Social Work, I CAN ACHIEVE that. I WANT TO be able to help my kids in THEIR TIME OF crisis and (OMITam at) TEACH them the necessary skills THEY WILL NEED TO transition into more independent WAY OF living.



These youth need all the help and attention we can give them in order to fight recidivism, especially THE African- American and Hispanic males, who continuALLY come back into our system. If you were to grant me the privilege of studying in your program, I WOULD LIKE TO research the recidivisim rates of black and Hispanic juveniles and young adoLEscents. I WISH to contribute to our understanding of how we can best go about saving their lives and, at the same time, easE the financial burdens on our society.Can someone please edit my essay for social work?
';I wanted to become a social worker when I realized that social work is very similar to psychology, which is my major in undergraduate school.';



';Some of them were dealing with drug and alcohol abuse, depression, and the juvenile justice system.';



';The adolescents that I have worked with in the Residential Treatment Facility could become physically assaultive at times; throwing chairs, banging their heads on doors, etc.';



';It was during these critical situations that I would experience problems in knowing what the best clinical approach was to use when they were self-harming. I would like to have better tools in order to help these kids when they are in crisis and know whether the interventions are well supported by the literature. I hope that with the aid of a Master's Degree in Social Work, I can achieve that.I want to be able to help the adolescents in their time of crisis and teach the necessary skills the kids will need to transition into a more independent way of living.';



';These youth need all the help and attention we can give them in order to prevent recidivism, especially African American and Hispanic males, who tend to continually come back into the system. If you were to grant me the privilege of studying in your program, I would like to research the recidivisim rates of African American and Hispanic juveniles and young adults. I hope to contribute to our understanding of how we can best go about saving their lives and, at the same time, ease the financial burdens on our society.';
  • traveling with baby
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment