Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do people work in ';office'; environments like this?

Recently I was asked to work with a printing company that is a contractor to another very large and well-known company (Morgan Stanley). They are new to the account, so they basically just because their client literally about a month ago. There were two former workers, one of which I'd be replacing, which worked through a competitor printing company. Long story short, when the bidding took place, the company trying to hire me won. They offered the existing employees (who had been there for years of tenure with the other company) to join their company and continue on, but they'd have started over their tenure again and they didn't want to do that. So, they took off with the other company apparently about a month ago.





They're trying to replace those two workers, and I am one of the ones they have all but officially ';hired'; (I have beginning employee paperwork that says ';as an employee of _________, I...'; but I'm sort of in a probational status for a while after I am officially hired.





While waiting for the interview, some big-title lady in the office next door (vice president or something) asked me to come talk to her until the manager I was waiting on came back. She asked me all sorts of personal questions about hobbies, etc. and said, ';I'm just being nosey.'; We talked, I felt that I was very open...but she apparently told the manager that I was waiting on (later on) that I seemed ';a little shy.'; She also stated that they have a LOT of demands of the position.





Pays about $12 bucks an hour. They emphasize butt-kissing greetings, basically. We would be responsible for the upkeep of all 4 breakrooms (different floors of the building), delivering about 300+ pieces of mail to offices per day, and general print, binding, etc. for the big-name people's presentations or whatever they need printed. Of course, that has to be 100% error free. No smudges, the exact colors requested, etc.





Basically, they're trying to ';win over'; the support as the new company, and they are on a bit of a probational status themselves. The company loved the other people. Investors upstairs, I've been told, have to have a minimum of $10 million to open whatever investment account with the company. So they do a LOT of butt-kissing to these people. It seems like ';super nice'; is not even the word to describe how they want me to be, and I feel that I've been really nice, greeting people, etc. and I'm not sure what's wrong with them that they think I'm ';shy.'; I work at an airport...I deal with thousands of people per day in Customer Service. Shy I am not.





Also, my site manager doesn't know how to get me fingerprinted. He basically wanted me to ';check around'; at local police stations, etc. and find a place to get fingerprinted. But yet also seeming to indicate they'd pay for it. The paper he gave me lists a local police station, but they require a cashier's check or money order and won't take cash. In the interview, he seemed reluctant with that place he gave me because they don't take cash.





I've also been ';hired'; via paperwork by the company about a year ago. Took a month to get ';hired';...then on the day I was to start, they cut my position before I even started training, due to ';economic issues.'; The recruiter for the company seems to have backed it up.





The building is a richie-richie too-good-for-everything kind of places. Tile floors, golden stuff, etc. How do people feel ';okay'; with this?How do people work in ';office'; environments like this?
She said your shy, you're probably not but maybe they need someone more talk-active and more outspoken. Some companies need people like this. I'm not like that so I try to at apply at jobs where it's not a priority to be outspoken. Watch your back, they might let you go for someone more outspoken, it happened to me. Although, many jobs want very outspoken, talk-active, butt kissing people. Apply at a less demanding job, definitely not sales.


http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind鈥?/a>How do people work in ';office'; environments like this?
Sounds like a typical contracting situation to me.





The more time you spend in the corporate world, the more you'll come to wonder how anything EVER gets done.





Just do the best job you can, and ignore as much of the stupidity as possible. Taking it too seriously will make you crazy. The best attitude you can cultivate is ';OK, whatever.';

No comments:

Post a Comment