Sunday, November 21, 2010

Should i take time off work due to depression?

I'm a 24 year old guy working in a busy office. Many have said i have a lot going for me calling me good looking and other things. However I have suffered low moods for many years now. The last year or so it has worsened mainly due to health related problems- IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), nasal problems, sexual issues-lack of libido.. also other factors such as breaking up with girlfriend whom i loved (she works with me but thankfully not same office!). My social life is very poor as a result too.



As a result I struggle at work. People don't really notice, though i have told my manager a few things and she was rather sympathetic. Here are the problems; I wake up exhausted dreading to come in. I stroll in late. I am very slow paced. My focus and concentration is poor. I don't understand or enjoy the job much anymore and try to fluke my way through it. I am easily irritated by things- every sound, telephone ring, movement. I feel as though people are watching me and how i do my work, i cant even make a phone call with more then 2 people in the room as i fear i might say the wrong thing. All of my other worries are on my mind too. Sometimes i have to leave the room, run to the bathroom and burst into tears! To top things off, i am very tired every day and lack energy, i end up sleeping on the bus home.



I just want to get better. I am currently arranged to speak to a counselor which is a start. I feel that a few weeks off also may help but i terrified of what people will think and say when i come back. I mean they think i have it all going for me, so they would certainly question and gossip about me. Also there are many changes in the work place taking place soon and me not being there might raise questionsShould i take time off work due to depression?
Whatever you think about how you are going to run your life remember that your health must come first. You have to choose which one has first priority your health or your work. You have to slow down. Don't think too much about people, when you get sick no body would care about you. Go ahead and see a counselor, it might help. I wish you the best , it seems you're a good man.Should i take time off work due to depression?
Most of us suffer from depression now and then but if it seems to be a permanent problem you might perhaps have to learn to live with it. Sometimes suitable treatment might perhaps help so perhaps a counselor might be able to help.



A few weeks off work might not necessarily help as this could create a few new problems due to your changing work environment. Dealing with gossip could be another new problem.



Perhaps some of your health problems are due to an unhealthy lifestyle so perhaps you can find some useful tips in a web search for ';healthy lifestyles';.



Relationship problems such as breaking up with a girlfriend don't help but this happens to lots of people so you have to keep plugging along regardless which, of course, is easier said than done.



Sympathy from your manager certainly helps a bit but hopefully your counselor can do a bit better as sympathy alone is not a real remedy. Sympathy may perhaps help to soften the pain a bit.
Stick it out until you've seen the counselor. One thing I've found is that my depression symptoms get WORSE when I'm not on a regular schedule. If I take a week off from work and just stay at home, being inactive makes me feel even lower than before. Staying as busy as possible helps distract your mind from the worries.
I had exactly the same problem 2 years ago, I was really depressed and couldn perform at work due to this. I'm not sure if you are in the UK or US so i guess it depends on the rules surrounding such things but I would firstly get a note from your Doctor saying you are suffering from depression and he/she will also advise you of how much time you should take off work. This should then be discussed with your manager and/or HR department and they should do all they can to help you get through the tough period. Sometimes a good rest at home for a few weeks is what you need to recharge and start to gain strength and confidence, i actually ended up taking 3 months off but that was what i needed. I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment