Sunday, December 11, 2011

Is it ok to de-friend people in Facebook?

So I am a little anxious about what people can see/find on me on the internet in general and Facebook in particular. I am trying to limit how much information makes it into the public sphere. So in doing so, I decided to go through my facebook and de-friend a bunch of ';friends';. My Facebook was starting to look like my highschool yearbook, with a few work people, family and a few other acquaintances mixed in.



I also remove posts, mine and others', some time after their relevance. I don't really want others who may not know the context of the conversation to read and bother me weeks later about something that is done and over.



All that said, is there an ettiquite or other protocol to follow? I have had a couple people, who spend way too much time on FB, come to or my wife complaining that ';he doesn't like me anymore?!'; I'm like, if someone were my friend before FB, they're still my friend. If you're my friend in RL, why cant you call or text me to say what's up? I understand the whole interconnection and community aspect that draws people closer, but seriously, are we sharing too much information? Is it unreasonable to ask for some arms length on some of what's said online? Has anyone else gone through similar stuff?Is it ok to de-friend people in Facebook?
Seems like it's your page - do what you want...Is it ok to de-friend people in Facebook?
If you disconnect, they won't know right away, until they actively try to write on your wall. You also have the option of hiding their comments from your wall, if that's all you want to do: they'll still be your friend. They could still bug you in person. The etiquette would be the same as, I would think, changing your phone number and not telling someone who had the old one and who used it, or moving from your apartment and not telling someone who used to visit. 驴Eh?



I have a buddy who knew my email address. The only way he kept in touch was to put me on a mailing list and send me daily jokes and mailings like ';forward this to 50 friends';. I asked him to take me off the mailing list. It hurt his feelings, and he has never sent an email again. So, that's the risk.
It is OK to make your own rules. Don't let others make you do things that make you uncomfortable.

~

On the flip side don't impose your rules on others.
You can just leave facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment