Sunday, December 11, 2011

How can I make lazy people work in groups for projects?

Hi,

I am very ticked off...

For my whole life, I have been the ONLY person doing projects. Everyone else in my assigned groups would jack off and not care. They even interrupt, and I can only speak about three times for 50 minutes...



This year, I am in groups again. There are four people in my group (including me). I am doing the powerpoint, while they are supposed to do the paragraphs (5 total). The three should also revise these paragraphs during class.



Everyone brought their paragraphs to class yesterday. One person did two paragraphs, one did one, and one did the opening+closing paragraph. I typed them up on the computer for 10 minutes, and revised them (even though they were supposed to do that). Today, I came into class, and they did not do anything. We were supposed to revise together, but instead they wanted to make chipmunk voices. I told all of them that one of them needs to take this essay and revive it more to fit the rubric (we were 350 words below the limit), and no one wanted to. I gave it to one of them, and he just dropped it on the floor and said he was not going to type it all over again (even though it would take 15 minutes) and revise it to fit the rubric limits. Also, the concluding paragraph was only two sentences.



Since no one grabbed the sheet, I had to... My parents hate bad grades, so I have to do the classmates work. However, it is not as simple as this. I have to make a powerpoint, which would take about 5 hours of my time to do.



How can I deal with people who don't want to work?How can I make lazy people work in groups for projects?
That sucks. I always hated group work too.

When my teachers assigned groups, there was always a warning that - we all had to participate and do our part. The teacher would ask us each to do anonymous evaluations of our teammates, and if one of us had bad remarks, it would be ';investigated'; and that person would either get no credit for the work done, or minimal credit or have to do their own project.



My teachers also encouraged us to talk to them in the event we had issues with a group member.



Maybe you can express your concerns to your teacher - don't rat out your members, but just tell the teacher that you think that group work is not always ideal because usually one or two people are stuck with majority of the work. But also express that you realize teamwork is important there has got to be a better way in terms of point distribution.



Unfortunately, no matter what safeguards a teacher has in place, you are always going to have a lazy team member - it is a harsh precursor to real life. There are going to be tons of lazy coworkers out there that you have to basically chip in for. But don't worry - your hard work will always be rewarded, and the lazy ones, well, they always get what's coming to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment