Sunday, December 11, 2011

I would like to know why the same people get all the help?

I work hard every single day. so did my husband until he got laid off. He draws unemployment but not near what he was making. So between the two of us we now make less then our bills. We have no health ins. And get no other help. Around here every time I go see if we can get some help we are turned down saying we make to much they don't even ask what we have going out. And we don't owe on anything that we can get rid of. Here is my example I got ill called a Dr. was told they do a sliding fee scale. I thought great some help. I get there and to get it for free or even at 70% off you have to make so little that you would already be on a medical card anyway. Why do they need help paying a Dr bill? Then we have a place that will help with Electric and heat and food. So I check there and in line for that are the people who already get food stamps. and again I make to much. How is it that the people who are getting hundreds in food stamps need more free food? Where is the help for honest hard working people? Why is it that someone who is able to work is young and healthy can sit at home with her baby. in an apartment that cost her $25. per month her heat, water, trash, elect, included in that. with free transportation at the cost of the tax payers. and get free food. can still get help? they may only get a check for $200.00 per month but what do they have comming out of that for bills? nothing but diapers. and sometime they are free. But here we are making more per month cause we work for it but yet have more money in bills going out then comming in and thats just to bad for us. I know there are more people out there like this. Someone please just tell me why this is fair.I would like to know why the same people get all the help?
I know where you are coming from. I have been through a somewhat similar experience. You are right, its totally unfair. Fortunately, this will eventually pass. I agree with the other answerer about seeking a church's assistance. I work at a church and we do help people in similar circumstances as much as we can. We also have info on other organizations in our area. This stinks I know, but people like you are the reason this money is there. Go see if you can get some help and hang in there. Best of luck and for what its worth, I understand and sympathize.I would like to know why the same people get all the help?
Who said it's fair?
I am very sorry for you in your situation, and I hope that you can find the assistance you need until you get back on your feet. Living on $200, however even with near-nothing rent, is still not a picnic. And there is now a 5-year limit on welfare, so many of these recipients know they are on the clock.



I would try to arrange some payments with the utilities and anywhere else you can. Go to a foodbank if you must--they generally don't ask too many questions. Many good, hardworking people are now in your situation--try meeting up with some of them (at the UI office or elsewhere) and help each other.



Do you attend any kind of church or have access to any other assistance? Try the non-profit groups in your area, but of course many people are now in this situation. Try checking at your department of labor's One-Stop Job Center (your H had to register when he got UI) for training programs for which you might qualify, and other opportunities.



Best wishes for your return to the middle class soon!
It is not fair.



There is strong political support to keep public assistance and social insurance benefits minimal in the U.S. We are the only developed democracy in the world without universal health care coverage.



Bush summarized the government's position: ';I'm a free market kind of guy.';



You cannot expect doctors and electric service providers to subsidize the millions of consumers that are in the same situation you find yourself in. They cannot afford it.



It would be fair to have higher taxes from persons who can afford it (myself included) in order to have a more efficient delivery of health care benefits and full employment. But I am not holding my breath until that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment