Sunday, December 11, 2011

How do I deal with difficult people at work?

I work with some real zingers! Often I have to deal with people that complain constantly that they have no money, some medical situation, blah, blah blah. I am so sick and tired of listening to their crap all day. Why can't they just shut up and do their job. How can I handle these crazies without becoming one of them.How do I deal with difficult people at work?
I have the same problem at my work. Alot of my coworkers talk to me about there money problems, bankrupcy, health problems . . . .the same. I think they just do it to talk to someone, or they are looking for advice but dont know how to take it even tho they want it.

I would just listen with one ear and let it go out the other. I wouldnt ignore them completly, you never know when they might tell you something important, but keep to your work and hopefully they will notice.

If things dotn improve, talk to your boss or manager that your coworkers and bringing intheir dirty laundry to work and its hard for you to work on your job, they are not working for the team. They should know what to do. Dont think your tattling, your doing whats right!How do I deal with difficult people at work?
Yeah, sounds like my job... I just act like im listening to them but secretly DONT GIVE A CRAP about their so called medical and financial problems...
Appear disinterested.
just come back with some real positivity, they will soon stop moaning to you. x
Tell them you are sorry, but you have a lot of work to do. They should be working too after all.
Say something polite, like ';I'm sorry to hear that'; - and then start doing something else, like going through papers, opening a file, anything else. You can even get up and say that you have to copy something, go to the bathroom, or whatever. Eventually they won't complain to you anymore... although you might have to still deal with them complaining to others within your earshot.
We all have to deal with negativity. You just be the positive influence and be thankful that you don't have their attitude.
Say, ';Hey ******* do see crosses on my collar? I ain't no g.d. priest, get over it!';
Turn there complaints back on them. Most peoples complaints are caused by or can be fixed by themselves. If someone complains about money tell them to quit wasting what they have on (pick an example you know of) Medical problems can also be turned on them. Knees hurt ? tell em it's because they are fat. Tooth ache? you shoulda brushed more often. Eventually they will get the hint you dont want to hear it and either quit or look for someone else.
If I were you, I'd be as nice as possible, but firm in my position. I would say something like, ';I am sorry to hear about your current circumstances. I really hope things get better for you. However, while at work, I prefer to stay on task and discuss work issues unless on a break. Thanks for understanding...';. Something like that. It might be a little awkward, but if you don't say something, it'll just continue! Try to be as nice as possible so you don't come across like a jerk!
what i do is that i act really busy or that im behind work and even get them to work by telling them to help me....
The truth is your best option. Tell them nicely that you don't care to hear their problems as you have your own. You obviously don't have much compassion for these people so are probably not a social worker or counselor. Perhaps you can refer them to your company's employee assistance department for help. There's supposed to be someone there who gets paid to listen to other people's problems.
All of the responses are RIGHT! So what! Everyone has things going on in their lives. Sometimes, I think people are just looking for attn. and want you to feel sorry for them. I pretend to be listening and try to offer positive advise, but most of the time I keep myself preoccupied so I can ';ignore'; their discussions and not be involved w/it. Work is work! You should leave your personal life %26amp; issues at home!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment